Recently, Paul has really taken to my hair and making "staartjen" with it, which is the English equivalent of ponytails. But no, the kid really means PONYtails.
A little background:
Paul LOVES horses and ponies. Anything related to them, and he's in love. He has about 30 different horses around the house, has a huge horse lamp next to his side of the bed, and just received a very expensive Playmobil horse farm from Sinterklaas. Anytime we draw or color together, he asks me to draw a paard (horse) or eenhoorn (unicorn) so that he can color it. His favorite part is drawing on the tail and mane. He also carries around a small handkerchief (we call it a tootie) that he carries a certain way to look as though he has a horse's tail in his hand. The kid is obsessed, but it's adorable nonetheless.
So, about a week or so ago, I was leaning over Paul while he was playing, and he started to stroke my hair and mention something about a staartje, which I had conveniently just learned in my Dutch language course. I repeated the word, then said, "In English, staartje is ponytail" and his eyes lit up. He responded, "JAH, PONYTAIL, SARA!!" and so began his love of making ponytails with my hair. He never actually puts in an elastic band; he just holds them with his hands, smoothing and stroking them over and over again while saying, "mooie straatje," which translates to "beautiful ponytail." Sometimes he makes them "kleine" (small) and sometimes he makes them "grote" (big), but every time he makes sure to mention to me that they are "leuk" (nice) or "mooi". He even likes just brushing my hair, probably because he imagines it being something like brushing the mane of a pony. It really melts my heart every time he does it.
More mushy stories promised for future posts!
5 comments:
Be still my beating heart, that boy sounds adorable. You could totally order him a fake horsetail from a Bridle/tack store. They use them all the time in horse shows...It's a weave for horses. He'd probably go bonkers. :)
I've already tried to steal these children . . . this is making it worse.
Has this child had real experience with a horse? I see horseback riding in your future!!
Abby - Oh yes, he is adorable. And I could do that, except my hair is a much cheaper substitute. Plus, I do selfishly as well--I love my hair being brushed!! haha
Melinda - Haha, in real life, he is scared of horses. He just enjoys looking at them. He said he wants to come to America with me because we have horses and donkeys, but will only come if the horses don't make noise. Surprisingly, he is really good at making horse noises. I don't know why he doesn't like them making noises. Strange.
Sounds too adorable. Can I hire him to brush my hair too?
Yes, Megan, you can. But that might be considered child labor...
Post a Comment